Bienmesabe is quite possibly the «most famous» dessert in Canarian cuisine, this is a must for those that have a really sweet tooth! You will find it on the menu in most Canarian/Spanish bars and restaurants on the island.
Serves: up to 6 people
Cooking time: approx 15 minutes
500g ground almonds
1/2 litre of water
grated rind of 1 lemon (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
8 egg yolks
- Boil the water and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the ground almonds, lemon zest and cinnamon.
- Stir continuously over the heat until the mixture has thickened then remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks and gradually add to the mixture, stirring all the time.
- Return to the hob and gently heat the mixture again, stirring all the time.
- As soon as the mixture comes to the boil, remove from the heat and pour into a glass bowl or individual serving bowls.
Serve with vanilla ice-cream as a nice accompaniment to this very sweet dessert.
Have you tried our recipe, or tried a variation? Let us know how it turned out!