Canary Island lentil stew (Potaje de lentejas) is a popular dish in Lanzarote. It’s a hearty dish of pork chops with vegetables, herbs and as the name suggests lentils!
Potaje de lentejas
Serves: 6 people
Preparation: approx 30 mins once lentils have been soaked
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 minutes
1/2 kg lentils
3 litres of water
1 kg pork chops
4 corn on the cob (chopped into chunks)
1/2 kg potatoes
1/2 kg sweet potatoes
1/2 kg pumpkin
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 onion (peeled and chopped finely)
4 cloves of garlic (peeled and sliced finely)
2 beef tomatoes (skinned and chopped)
1 small bunch flat leaf parsley
1 small bunch fresh coriander
1 pinch of powdered saffron
Salt & pepper
- Soak the lentils in a large pot overnight in cold water, the following day bring to boil in the same water. Once boiling strain, return to the pot and pour in 3 litres of fresh water.
- Add the pork chops and the corn on the cob, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Soak the tomatoes in boiling water for approx 10 minutes to make them easy to peel and chop.
- Heat the oil in a pan and lightly fry the onion and garlic, then add the chopped tomatoes and allow to cook for around 1 minute.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, sweet potatoes and pumpkin in to manageable chunks for eating.
- Add the onion, garlic and tomato mix and the potatoes and pumpkin to the pot with the lentils, chops and corn on the cob.
- Add the chopped parsley and coriander, saffron and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook for another 30 minutes on a low heat.
- Leave to settle for a few minutes before serving.
Loads of crusty bread!
Have you tried our recipe, or tried a variation? Let us know how it turned out!